Friday 15 June 2012

VP2 update

Today's heavy showers provided a good opportunity to tweak the rain bucket set screws and check the results - as I thought previously it seemed to be under-recording by almost 20% compared to the Vue and my older Oregon rain-only gauge.
I turned both screws about one and a half turns out, and though another day with significant rain is needed to be sure, it seems much closer now but still slightly lower if anything.
I must say I have always suspected the Vue read a little high if anything, perhaps due to the awkward leveling procedure when it's on a pole above your head it is quite difficult to get right.

This evening the site is actually showing VP2 data for now, I'll probably swap the VP2 into the Vue's position in the next few days on an 'uneventful' weather day.
A little thing I noticed is that the temperature changes more slowly up or down, I guess due to the larger enclosure and greater mass of plastic around it.
Otherwise the main difference is humidity is often about 4% lower.

Temperature and wind have often been uncannily almost the same for long periods which quite surprised me since the two ISS are currently some 30 metres apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment